Collectibles-General (Antiques)/dining room chairs

dining room chair
dining room chair  

chair tags
chair tags  
I have a set of 6 dining room chairs.  Only one has arms, but I was led to believe they were a complete set.  I've included a picture of one with the seat bare, so I can recover it.  The other picture shows a tag that says "Grand Rapids Furniture Company" and a tag that says "Sheraton 844." The only Grand Rapids Furniture Company I found opened in 1997.  These chairs are clearly older than that.  I saw another answer on this website about a different Grand Rapids Furniture Co.  I am curious as to how old these chairs are and how much effort I should put into repairing them.  I like them because there is a story behind them. I like how the back of the chair is different from most chairs we see today. I like that I bought them at an auction, which for me was an experience and a big part of the story.

the style is sheraton style, and hepplewhite style.

i read the company as "grand rapids chair company".

These chairs were made in the 1920s into the 1930s

here is information on the company.

these are great styled chairs, classic Sheraton and Hepplewhite style, nice classic tablet form on the top rail and light colored stringing finally on the legs and seat rails.

I recommend you buy Briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax these.
At auction these would probably have been around 40-65$ each but in a retail setting cleaned and waxed with newly padded and covered seats would sell at 350$ each.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971