Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Jacobean Refectory Table and chairs

Question
chair and table leg
chair and table leg  
set and inscription
set and inscription  
QUESTION: Can you please assess the value of the dining room table and chairs set for me.  I'm also curious about what the writing on the underside of the table means.  How would you categorize this table.  Thank you for sharing your expertise!

ANSWER: This is a draw leaf table in the Jacobean style made around 1915-1920s.  The legs are called cup and cover design.

When we see writing like this it is one of the workers or inspectors noting inventory numbers, style numbers, stain numbers, catalog numbers and his name.  These are all particular to the company.

If you would use the followup function and post a close clear picture of the wood grain in the table top I can probably identify that for you.  Same with the chair backs but I have to see grain.

Different woods will have been used, perhaps some sweet gum for the bases and another for the table top.  I suspect the chair back splats are in walnut veneer.  I will know once I see it and the table top.

thanks.

table top grain
table top grain  

chair back grain
chair back grain  
QUESTION: Thank you, Mr. Klein.  I hope the attached pictures are close enough to identify the wood and the value.

Answer
table top looks to be walnut and walnut veneer.  set has been refinished at some time and appears to be done well.  chair back is walnut veneer as well.  cant see the grain in the arms as well as i would like but they do appear to be sweet gum.  this is common to mix woods.

an in shop retail number would be 1500 for the table and 125 each for the chairs.
auction price much less and insurance replacement value higher by 2x.

thanks

hope this is what you needed

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein