Collectibles-General (Antiques)/kingsley furn Co, laporte, Ind

QUESTION: Hello Michael,

My mom bought a vintage French provincial tufted living room set with sofa, gents chair, chair, marble coffee table, 2 marble end tables and wall mirror and 2 matching lamps with brass legs. She must of bought them like 40 yrs ago and wondering how much she would have paid for them at that time. My mom passed away 3 yrs ago and we are thinking of selling house and my dad would move into a smaller house. I would like to sell them to someone that would use them. I remember the living room as the museum room set because it was just for looks and we hardly ever sat on them. The only thing that I found was a tag under the cushion that said it was made in laporte, Ind by Kingsley. but no date. I could send you photos as soon as I take pics. Where could I find info on this set?

Milt from Taunton, Mass

ANSWER: Please send the photo and I will try to help.

living room set
living room set  

end table with lamp
end table with lamp  
QUESTION: Hi Michael.

Here are the photos...

This is American made reproduction of French Napoleon III style with Louis 15th design details made circa 1960's, you mother must have purchased this new from a local furniture store.  This is not an easy furniture set to sell because of the style, I think this not worth very much, I see the exact same type of furniture in used furniture stores, I think the sofa is worth around $100 dollars and the chairs around $50 dollars the small tables are worth around $25 dollars if you find someone who is interested in this style.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.