Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Colonial Reproduction

Maddox Desk
Maddox Desk  

Per the attached pictures, I have just recently purchased this piece of furniture with intent to refurbish. As I was going to take the handles off, I came across a black label in the middle drawer with gold lettering that says "Maddox of Jamestown NY" and then on the bottom of the same drawer the Maddox Colonial label with Pattern No, Finish, & Order No.

Per the picture, the desk is in good shape. Can you please tell me anything about this desk, including value?

Thank you for your time.

Maddox was a good company that made faithful reporductions of earlier pieces.

your desk is in the chippendale style.  as it sits in a shop after waxing it would sell at 350-400.

i would not strip and sand this, i would clean it up with mineral spirits then use a brown wax like Briwax, wax it and live with it a few weeks before diving into a large project.  This appears to be a perfect piece to do a light touch up restoration.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971