Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old trunk

Question
Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
Was wondering if you could tell me a year or anything about this trunk

Answer
This style trunk is from 1880s-1920s.  when judging this type as originally being expensive or more of the common or standard grade we look at the metal hardware.  Common grades trunks have lighter less bold metal corners, latches and locks.
If you like it like it is then vacuum it inside and out then coat it with shellac.  However, it you want to make it pretty because of the worn, abused and neglected condition then do this-->>
This is how we go about making them pretty when they are in this condition.  If in better condition the following is NOT what we do.
go outside, use the garden hose and a nylon bristle brush like the type you buy at the grocery store, they are shaped like a clothes iron.
use the spray nozzle and hose and soak down the trunk inside and out. scrub it with the brush removing all the paper inside the trunk and scrub the outside.
using a bo cutter or exacto knife, cut around all the metal and wood then pull the canvass off--this is very time consuming so be ready to have a couple of hours devoted to this phase.  when wet it comes off easily.

once you get to this point contact me for more.......  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein