Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Victorian Chairs?

Got these 6 chairs at an auction recently. The auction house described them as "Victorian". Is that correct? Could you give us an idea of what year they are most likely from, and their value. They appear to be in really good shape.

the description is correct.  they were manufactured around 1875-1880.  the tableture in the top crest would be a walnut veneer, burl.

rest of the woods i cannot see in the photo but these are often a mix of cherry, maple and birch.  all light colored woods.  many are also all walnut but again, i cannot see the grain pattern.

at auction these would probably have sold around 50-75 each but in a retail setting would price at 250 each if in good condition.  the seats alone would cost about 175 to have woven.

good set

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971