Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Weiman heirloom table 78-4931

I've had this table from my great aunt's estate. I was wondering how much it's worth. I recall her saying it was custom made, in regards to the removable copper inserts at either end which contain fake ivy plants. She has always referred to it as a "Telephone Desk". It is two tiered, and appears as though it is held together with a wooden tension rod and end nuts. It has a drawer and two lions heads. Aside from the metal lions heads, I can find no hardware on the piece at all. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Weiman manufactured millions of pieces of furniture during their existence.
The Weiman Company moved from chicago to rockford in 1935 and remained in business in rockford until 1968.

some info from my files:

A story from the June 16, 1966, issue of the Courier-Tribune states: "The Weiman Co., one of the country's leading manufacturers of bedroom and dining-room furniture and occasional tables, will soon move into a brand new plant and office building in Ramseur." Weiman Furniture of Rockford, Ill. [Which would have been 1935 according to previous research] bought the Ramseur Furniture Co. in 1963. The article continues: "The Weiman Co., previously a manufacturer of occasional tables exclusively, branched into the production of high-quality bedroom and dining-room furniture when it set up operations at the Ramseur plant."

so, all that being said, this table of yours would be from the 1940s-50s.  It would be mahogany veneers and would have been sold as a sofa table or occasional table.  It is one of the more stylish tables from their offerings.

retail price in a store would be 3-400$ depending on the nature of the store and condition of the table.

Bassett Furniture actually bought Weiman in 1980, but apparently closed its Ramseur plant about two years ago. An examination of the photograph of your Colonial Revival Hepplewhite-Duncan Phyfe style drum table that accompanied your letter suggests a manufacturing date of the late 1940s or early 1950s. There is an outside chance it might date from the 1930s. Its secondary market retail value is between $350 and $400.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971