Collectibles-General (Antiques)/3-tier table

3-tier table
3-tier table  
Hi Mr. Taylor,

I have a 3-tier plate stand I think it was called by Ferguson Bros mfg in Hoboken. It's in good shape - a little sun fading on one side. This belonged to my mom and I was wondering about the value of such. My photo isn't that good, but you'll know what I am referring to at least. (Pardon the dusty floor!)

Thank you so much for your time.
Heidi S.

Heidi - Your table is called a dumbwaiter. A dumbwaiter was used in 18th century dining rooms. It sat next to the hostess and contained extra “usefuls” like silverware and napkins. It also often contained sweets and desserts.

The Ferguson Brothers Manufacturing Company made furniture in Hoboken, NJ from 1898 - 1953. They were family owned until being bought in 1953 by Sun-Glo Industries. At this time the company was moved west to Virginia.

History of: * Manufacturer – Ferguson Brothers Maufacturing Co. According to the Dept of State's "Corporations of New Jersey: List of Certificates to Dec. 31, 1911", Ferguson Bros. Manufacturing Co., 8th and Monroe Sts, Hoboken was incorporated January 29, 1903 with $250,000 of capital stock authorized. It commenced business with $250,000. Its agent was Harry Ferguson. The descriptions of what they made usually said "screens and furniture novelties" or "furniture" or "furniture novelties." In the 1930s the entries become longer. The entire entry for 1934 reads: FERGUSON BROS. MFG. CO.,furniture novelties, folding screens, folding tables, cedar chests, smoker stands, cellarettes, humidors. 720 Monroe St., Hoboken. Pres Harry Ferguson; The company ceased operations in 1953.

During the Depression of the 1930s many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables and smoking stands. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books.

The photo of the table is too blurry for me to give you a value.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida