Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bed question

Question
Bed frame
Bed frame  

Foot post
Foot post  
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell us anything about this bed. We got it out of a very old house and had it refinished. We are not sure if we put it together right. The button on the rail doesn't drop down to the bottom of the slot. We were also wondering if the mattress frame should be resting on top of the rail. If it is correct, when a mattress is put on, it will almost come to the top of the footboard. Is his a unusual box spring or a common one? We would appreciate any thing you can tell us about this and is there any value in what we have.
Thank you in advance.

Jim

Answer
Jim - The bed is from the early 20th century and was probably a hospital bed. I do not believe that spring unit goes with that bed. It is called a woven wire mattress (usually found in much earlier beds) and it should fit inside the bed frame with the C shaped hooked ends lapping over the bottom rail of the head and foot boards. Yo can see the correct set up in the book "Furniture Made in America 1875-1905" by Dubrow, Schiffer Publications.

Since you have mismatched pieces the bed has little to no value. Similar beds with correct springs sell at auction for $100 or less.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor