Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Question about 2 antigue jars

Two glass jars
Two glass jars  
QUESTION: Hello Michael,

I have a set of 2 antique jars from my family in England. I think they are either English or French but haven't been able to get more information than that. Any insight as to make and value is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Robin

ps the image shows 3 jars, but I'm only inquiring about the 2 matching ones.

ANSWER: These look like very nice French 19th century hand painted crystal perfume bottles, The gold looks like it is gold leaf hand burnished on crystal. Are the panels on the side glass raised? or enameled? or is it just hand painted? can you send me a photo of the underside of the bottle and a close up of the flowers on the side and I will confirm my analysis.

glass jar side
glass jar side  

glass jar bottom
glass jar bottom  
QUESTION: Hi Michael,
Thanks for your response. I've attached 2 more photos per your suggestion. Robin

I confirm my analysis of the perfume bottles, that is a makers mark on the bottom but it is very difficult to find out who painted this, but it looks like it was painted circa 1870s to 1880s.  I would estimate the bottle to sell for at least $400 to $500 dollars if not more, I have seen bottles with White opaline that were hand painted sell for as much as $2000 dollars. but yours is green glass or crystal so it will be much less.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.