Collectibles-General (Antiques)/question

Question
desk
desk  

finish
finish  
Hi-

This is really an interesting piece of furniture.   
I believe it is a Maddox kidney shape desk.
How to refinish?!
I have done numerous hours of research. What finish can it be?  I just not quite sure how to refinish the leather. There is a big spot with no clear finish( from water damage). The wood? Though it was shellac...  but there must be some type of old varnish they used...

I hope you can help me!
Thanks for your guidance and openness to your knowledge.
Noel

Answer
Noel - The finish on your desk is nitrocellulose lacquer. It was the go to finish on furniture from the late 1920s to the late 1980s. The leather has the same finish. The wood is mahogany and secondary woods stained to look like mahogany (primarily birch and gum).

Do not refinish the leather. Simply add color if needed on the bare spot. Apply a light oil based stain over the entire leather surface. Then finish with a coat of lacquer-compatible finish such as shellac. Do not use any oil or water based products like urethane. It will peel off.

This is a task not easily done with the modern "consumer safe" products available in home stores. You may need professional help.

Good luck.

Fred Taylor
info@furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor