Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Question about a bed

Box spring on side rail
Box spring on side rai  

Foot board
Foot board  
We got a set of metal twin beds out of a very old house and had them refinished. Can you tell us anything about this bed? We aren't sure if we have it setup right. The buttons don't go all the way down in the slot the way it is set up.  Should the box spring sit on top of the rail? Is this a common type bed spring (mesh)? With the box spring sitting on top of the frame and if we put a mattress on it, it will almost cover the foot board, is that right? Can you determine any value?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
FYI, the head board is just like the footboard but taller, as usual.

beds are from the 19teens-20s.

nice job.

without being there i cant say if the rails are right side up or upside down.  Have seen them both ways.  remember that mattresses were thinner back then, maybe even goose down.

is there any mechanism in place to keep the spring frame from sliding around???
the notch in the end of the rail is puzzling, makes me think the rails might be upside down, the notch is there for a reason, as if it is supposed to clear some obstacle.

use followup function and show picture of inside the bracket on the bed where the rail sits, thanks.

i would say that in the condition now they should have a selling point of 1000 in a store.  wood twins sell at 3-400 each, and to me, these are nicer.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971