Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Saginaw hide away mahogany table

Can you tell me about how old my Saginaw table is and its value?

The pricies on the companies furniture is not at its height.  i think that it is due to fact that smaller homes are just now comming back into favor.  once it is the trend these prices will shoot up.  for now, this piece made in the 1940-50s would sell at 450 in a store.

the company was founded by I.S. Ginsburg of Chicago, Ill in the 1920's. He was one of about 7 children of Bernard Ginsburg who arrived in Chicago in 1870 from Lithuania. I.S. had his sons Harry, A.J (Abe), Dan (aide to Dwight D Eisenhauer during WWII), and Maury run the Showroom in Chicago and New York City, and my Grandfather Lionel (Nephew of I.S.) was asked to run the Factory so he moved from Chicago up to Saginaw,MI. where my father Harry was born and raised. In addition to running the factory, he made trips to South America to source the Mahogany wood for the veneers.
From the 1930's on there were two full time dedicated furniture designers and nearly 600 employees. The the craftsmanship that was apparent in their early furniture had changed by the 1950's. I was told that this was due, in part, to having been pressed into service manufacturing wooden truck beds during WWII (and won the Army E Award for their service) and the aging generation of craftsmen from Eastern Europe had retired by the end of the War. When I.S. passed away in the early 1930's his sons (and later Lionel) changed their Surname to Gaines. Lionel Gaines retired (in his late 40's) around 1948 to Jacksonville, FL.

hope this is helpful.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971