Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Furniture sold by John Stuart Inc.

Question
Top of Tables
Top of Tables  

Full View
Full View  
Dear Mr. Klein: I was referred to you by Diana Barratt at the Grand Rapids Furniture Museum. I have two round end tables which are about 3 feet tall, and the circumference is approx. 25 inches so they are rather large. They each have 4 long legs with casters on the feet, and the wood looks to be Mahogony or Cherry. The tops of the tables look to be leather, with a gold filigree enlay around the edges in a beautiful design. All the hardware is original. On the inside of the drawers is a rectangular foil or metal label that says John Stuart, Inc., and underneath the name is New York, Grand Rapids. I was told that this was the retailer, and that they sold high end furniture in their show room in the mid 20th century. I was told that they also sold antiques. Is that true? Because my tables look to be much older that mid 20th Century. I have attached photos for your review. I was wondering the value of the tables, and when they were made and by who? Thanks, Gayle

Answer
John Stuart inc operated between 1934-1956.  At the time, and for many decades prior to these dates, Grand Rapids was the furniture capital of the USA.  The Stuart company bought and sold reproductions from several companies in the Grand Rapids area in English, Georgian, American, French revival, and modern styles.

the leather has gold embossing and also what is called blind embossing, blind embossing is the non gold embossing you see.

these are done in the Hepplewhite style but are not of the Hepplewhite period.

If you would use the follow up function and repost a clear, in focus photo of one table I will offer a retail value but i am unable to see the condition of the leathe or wood from these photos.

thank you.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein