Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rogers Wardrobe Trunk Key

In one of your other answers, you suggested that you occasionally sell keys for old trunks.  I have an old Rogers trunk that is locked with no key.  Can you tell me what kind of information you or someone else would need to be able to determine if I could get a key?  Are the locks easy to pick?  Thanks, Bill

Since there were several American lock companies which sold locks to the trunk makers, you would need the maker of the lock and the key code, which is usually stamped somewhere on the front of the lock. If there is no key code, then it can be much more difficult to find a key. A good picture of the lock can help sometimes and there are various types of keys used in trunk locks, including hollow barrel keys, flat keys, and corrugated style keys. Some are very hard to pick while some are not so hard, but I am not an expert on that.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.