Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Spindled Rocker

Question
Spindled Rocker
Spindled Rocker  

Underside of Seat
Underside of Seat  
After rescuing 3 rockers from impending doom, I was not in the market for yet another rocker....but I spotted this across the room in a consignment store and I had to check it out.  It appears to be old, and probably of little value as it has been re-caned, refinished, and repaired.  However, because of the care it has received, I suspect it was a very loved chair.  And when I sat in it, I loved it even more than when I spotted the lovely slender spindles. So I took it home with me. There appears to be no nails in this piece, only some pegs going from the arm rests into the main frame in the back of the chair.  What can you tell me about this piece?

Answer
Beth - Your rocker is made of birch or maple and was factory made around the turn of the 20th century. The "pegs" in the stiles (vertical pieces of the frame) are actually wooden caps covering the screws that hold the arms to the stiles.

The style of the rocker is fairly "turn of the century" generic but it ultimately owes its style to the early 19th century rockers of New England - the Boston rocker and the Salem rocker. Ben Franklin invented a lot of things but one thing he did not invent is the rocking chair contrary to legend. Ben was a couple of hundred years behind on that one.

Even though I am sure you won't sell the chair, in case you wanted to it would bring around $75 at auction.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor