Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Storing a handmade chest

Question
Hope chest
Hope chest  
I have a 20+ year old chest, solid wood, stained cherry finish that I need to store. We have room in our attic or the loft of a barn/shed out back. I live in central NC, where it gets hot/muggy in the summers and moderately cold in the winters. I'd have it stored for about 5 or 6 years until a child moves out and we have floor space again. Will it get destroyed before then? Is there anything I could do to protect it?

Answer
Interesting question. If it were me, I would blanket wrap and use some of that shrink wrap,{walmart} and wrap it to hold the blanket in place. Before wrapping, I would place a pie tin in the bottom with some charcoal briquettes in the tin to help with any odors that might crop up. If possible, take it down once a year and "air" it out for a day or so. Then you can also catch any problems that might show up.

Good Luck,
  Rob.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson