Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thimble/Sewing Kit combination

Question
QUESTION: Hello:
I am not sure what to call this item.  It belonged to an Aunt who traveled the world.  I'm guessing she acquired this item in Japan, but not sure. I cannot say how old it is, but can only say that my Aunt had it maybe 70 yrs.  I cannot send a picture at this time, but will if you think you're interested in seeing it.
It is approx. 2-1/2 to 3" tall and a little larger than the size of a dime in dia.  It unscrews - the top would be the timble and the bottom part holds a needle and thread.  It is made of a hard china or some sort of glass with a inlayed pattern in different colors.   I know it may be hard to visualize without the pic, but did you ever hear of or see such a piece?  I've always been curious of it's origin.  
Thanks for your response.

ANSWER: Hello Gail,
Thank you for your query but unfortunately without a photo to look at, it would be next to impossible to identify your item.  Please try to send a photo.
Thank you.
Irene

Thimble/sewing kit combination
Thimble/sewing kit com  

Thimble/sewing kit combination
Thimble/sewing kit com  
QUESTION: Hello Irene:

I have attached a couple pictures - I have more if you need them.  I hope you can tell me a bit more about this item after you review them.

Thanks!

Gail

Answer
Hello Gail,
The photos are most helpful, thank you.

This is a sewing kit but not something necessarily made in Japan even though it may have been purchased there. It dates to the 1920s when these were in vogue. Most likely made in Germany or France -- they produced hundreds of these and used all sorts of designs. The kit is probably fashioned from an early plastic i.e. Bakelite.  Look closely at the base to see if it is stamped with a country of origin.

It is complete meaning it has the interior spool and more importantly, the cap that would close and secure the needles inside of it.  The top is the thimble.

Irene  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall