Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Kiel Desk

Question
Antique Kiel Desk 1
Antique Kiel Desk 1  
Hello Fred from Seattle, Washington!

My name is Michael and I found you and this site while doing a Google search. Anyway, I was thrift store shopping and bought this really nice Kiel desk and was wondering if you could tell me the approximate value and any other information about the piece that may be of interest. It is in really great condition. I will attach the image here but also will email you some photos as requested.

I have determined that the Milwaukee factory for Kiel was open between 1920 and 1932. Your help is much appreciated!

Answer
Michael - Thanks for the additional photos. Your desk is actually a library table or foyer table. It is made of birch with a mahogany finish. The style was "Colonial." The style at that time in the late 1910s and early 1920s with the rolled under feet was called “Colonial” in a mistaken attempt to relate to the Colonial Revival movement in American furniture at the time that reproduced styles from our colonial past. However, the design is not from the colonial period. It is from the end of the Empire period in a style known as Late Classicism, circa 1850.

Your table was made in the late teens or early 20s. Kiel was one of the main producers of davenport and occasional tables in the 1920s and early 1930s along with Mersman.

Your table would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor