Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique or Vintage walnut Dinning table

Question
Walnut dinning table
Walnut dinning table  

walnut dinning table
walnut dinning table  
Hello Mr Taylor,I have a walnut dinning room table that was gifted to me from my aunt.I remember eating at this table during the holidays when I was a kid,I'm now 55yrs old,any info or value will help before my grand kids destroy history.   thanks

Answer
Earl - Your table was built to look like a Federal style fold over game table but it expands to a dining table. I am sure it is made of mahogany, not walnut. The skirt is made of crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. The top is made of flat cut mahogany veneer. The legs are made of a secondary wood called gum that has been stained to look like mahogany.

This style table at one time was called a "plantation" table but that name is no longer used. The form was introduced during the Depression of the 1920s and 1930s as a way to save space in cramped housing and it was also useful after WWII during the housing shortage.

These tables tend to be less stable than a standard table and are seldom used as the primary dining surface but are reserved for "extra company" and special events. Your table would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor