Collectibles-General (Antiques)/The Berkey & Gay Furniture Company China Cabinet

Question
Chaina Cabinet
Chaina Cabinet  

Chaina Cabinet
Chaina Cabinet  
Dear Robert Klein,

I bought this China Cabinet from Berkeley, CA Free Market around 1989.
I love it, but, I might have to sell. I would like to know the value of it, so, I can be fair.
I guess someone recreated, but, I am not sure.
It's seemes someone attached China Cabinet on the Berkey & Gay Server and painted it.
Paint seems professionally done. could be original, but, I don't know.

Please let me know what do you think. Thank you very much.

This is what I found out.

There is the Berkey & Gay Furniture brass label on the inside of the drawer that was used starting around the 1920's untill Berkey & Gay went out of business in the 1940's. (Read below information from berkeygay.com)

Berkey and Gay Brass Label

The Berkey & Gay Furniture Company used three different types of labels to mark the furniture that they manufactured. The first label was branded into the wood and can often be found inside the drawers of the Berkey & Gay case pieces. Around the year 1900 the branded type label was replaced by a paper label. The brass label was used starting around the 1920's until Berkey and Gay went out of business in the 1940's. Please note that it is not uncommon to find both brass and paper labels used during the same era. Especially on dining room suites where the Berkey & Gay paper labels were quite often used to mark the dining chairs. As with the earlier branded label the Berkey & Gay brass labels can be found inside drawers or on the back of furniture such as beds.

Answer
B&G was a quality furniture company.

this piece is a blind china cabinet which was originally painted.  they did paint many of their cabinets like this, however, it appears that someone stripped the lower section of this at one time.

grand rapids was once the furniture capital of the USA.

in its original condition it would sell at 800-1200 but now the base would have to be finished dark or repainted to achieve 650-750$.

Not sure what else you might want to know.  please use the follow up function if i have missed something.
thanks  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein