Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Brass bed frame

Question
brass bed frame
brass bed frame  
head board
head board  
QUESTION: The manufacturer stamp is a W in a circle. I have all the parts, side rails, etc. The top rail is solid brass. The posts and the bottom 1/2 of the side posts are brass plate on metal. What is the vintage? What would be the value after restoration?

ANSWER: Brass beds were manufactured between 1880 and 1915 give or take a few years.

Do you have the original side rails?  Or replacements?

There should be no brass plating on this bed.  The top rail should be solid brass tubing, the rest should be a sheet of brass wrapped around a metal tube.  You should be able to see a seam on the outside posts and on the interior posts.  If no seam is present, and the interior posts are original, which it all appears to be, then the interior posts will be solid brass tubing as well.

The thread size of the studs that hold the interior posts in place are not 1/4" as some think at the hardware stores.  They are either 10 or 11 gauge and the thread per inch is 24 or 32, i do not remember right now but it is easy to measure.

If you are going to sell I would not attempt restoration.  Properly restored and it must be properly done to realize an increase in selling price.  Proper restoration means taking the bed apart and polishing each piece on a buffing wheel and machine as found in plating shops using the correct grits of cut and color wheels and compound, wearing gloves and once polished wiping with lime before waxing or lacquering.

ask 400$.  unfortunately the new brass bed market killed the pricing of old ones back in the 1970-80s.

QUESTION: I have the original side rails.  The top rail is solid brass and the rest have seams.  The interior posts are magnetic so they are not solid brass.  I have the original side rails that slip into slots in a metal box attached to the side posts and are held in place by metal pegs. I have been quoted a price of $2500 by a antique brass restoration and plating company.  Is this bed worth the expense?

Answer
are there seams on the interior posts?

The price is way too high.

to polish the bed should be around 800,
rather than replate the center posts, if they are plated, should be handled differently.
rather than replate, replace with brass tubing and use the old caps and decorations (finales) but keep the original posts.

bed, redone would not sell over 1000, more like 800 even after restoration.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein