Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cedar chest problem

Question
we have a 70 year old cedar chest that has crack in the bottom that extends from side to side.  the underside the crack is about 1/8 inch wide all the way across. inside the width of the crack is less than 1/16 inch.  is there a way to fill this crack to make it less  visable

Answer
Hi Don
Nice to hear from you.
Don I think that filling a 1/8 crack like this would be fine.
Best case would be remove the cracked board and glue back together.
Without seeing the damage and the chest, I imagine this would be impossible
They make various colors in wood fillers. Pick a color close to the chest color.
You might have to touch up the filler after with stain if you cannot get the wood filler color exact.
Get back if needed
Eileen

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk