Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cedar chest problem

we have a 70 year old cedar chest that has crack in the bottom that extends from side to side.  the underside the crack is about 1/8 inch wide all the way across. inside the width of the crack is less than 1/16 inch.  is there a way to fill this crack to make it less  visable

Hi Don
Nice to hear from you.
Don I think that filling a 1/8 crack like this would be fine.
Best case would be remove the cracked board and glue back together.
Without seeing the damage and the chest, I imagine this would be impossible
They make various colors in wood fillers. Pick a color close to the chest color.
You might have to touch up the filler after with stain if you cannot get the wood filler color exact.
Get back if needed

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.