Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cylinderical trunk

i live in Scotland and bought this trunk thing from n indoor market. it seems to of had some playdough stuck to it on the inside suggesting it has been used to store childrens stuff and it looks like it has had a bit od work to it. the lower band looks newer than the rest. there is also a map around it. i really just wnt to know what this is, been bothering me since i got it. there are no marks to give any indication as to what it is.

Hello Mathew,

To me this does not really look like an old item or what I would really call a trunk.  I have seen similar items at a couple import stores here in the United States.  I know that the sliding type latch on the lid is not an old style, but is a type I have seen on many boxes and cases currently being made in India, Japan, and other countries.  I'm sorry I cannot help you with more information on this item.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.