Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Drexel chest of drawers and tall dresser

Question
I am in the process of sanding a Drexel dresser and chest that have been in our family for ever.  I would like to re- stain it to look as much as possible as it originally did.  What stain to you suggest and do I just pick a stain that is similar to the original color?  Can you tell by a picture, what kind of wood it is, and it seems to me that there is just a thin layer of veneer?  Am I correct?  Thank you.  Vanita

Answer
Hi Vanita
Nice to hear from you.
You are correct its veneer, and a very thin layer.
Now that you have started sanding, I hope its not too late to caution great care must be taken when sanding veneer or you will ruin it.
I would use a Minwax oil stain in "special Walnut" color.
Get back if needed
Eileen

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk