Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Can not find any info on my antique steam trunk

Question
Lable
Lable  

Combo
Combo  
Hello I just brought a trunk at my local thrift store I have a lable in the inside of the makers, I have been trying to find information about the maker but have had no luck. The lable is round red circle that says Cutter&cutter manufacture Boston. I have the key also and it has what looks like a combo lock also. Ever heard of cutter and cutter? Thanks!

Answer
1914 Cutter catalog
1914 Cutter catalog  
Hi Carly,
I have heard of Cutter & Cutter of Boston and have one of their trunk catalogs from 1914.  They claimed to be the oldest trunk manufacturer in Boston, but I don't know if that was really true or what year they started. Another trunk maker, Henry Winship, also claimed to the be oldest trunk maker in Boston, and they were much larger.  There is very little information available online about most trunk makers and sometimes the only way to find historical information is to go to a historical section of libraries or historical associations in the town where they were located. Anyway, they made many types of trunks and from the hardware I can see in your pictures it appears the trunk was made around 1900 to about 1920. It has been repainted and appears to be a canvas covered wood trunk.  The owners names were often painted on the sides of trunks and that's what is on the side of yours and looks like it was painted over so it doesn't show up too much now.  That's all I can tell you from your pictures.  
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller