Collectibles-General (Antiques)/help with identifying old hutch

antique hutch cabinet
antique hutch cabinet  

back of hutch
back of hutch  
Hello Robert,

I am trying to determine the style, age, and value of this piece of furniture. In fact, I am not even sure if it is actually a hutch? There are no markings of any kind. I think I have determined that it is quarter sawn oak, but that is about it. I can send additional photos if needed, but thought this would be a good start.

Please advise on how to improve on my clarity and politeness.  It appears that I have much room for improvement and wish to better help others.  thank you

this is the bottom half of a sideboard or buffet.  made around 1900 during the golden oak period.  there would have been a mirrored section above of which it was quite common for them to have been removed.

it would sell around the 600$ mark as shown.  possibly 750.

as to style, this is typical styling of the golden oak period.  victorian influence.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971