Collectibles-General (Antiques)/key


corner hutch
corner hutch  
Dear Fred,
We have lost the key to the bottom cabinets of our corner hutch.  The logo on the inside says Finch Fine Furniture.  

I think it needs a barrel key, but have no idea how to proceed.  Help!

Ginnie - First try the easy stuff - borrow a few keys from an antiques dealer or auction house. They all have some. Also ask some friends who have older furniture. All of these locks work on a very small number of variations of similar keys. Find the one that works and order it from

If you send your email address to me at I will forward you my column on locks and keys called "Lock It and Pocket the Key." It explains how the locks work.

Good luck and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Fred Taylor


I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.


I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]