Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Dresser

I currently have an older wood dresser.  It's been in my family as long as I can remember, amd originally belonged to my great grandmother.  Can you help me identify the general time frame it was built, and what wood it is made from?   It has a high gloss finish that I don't think is original, but want to be sure before I consider refinishing it.  Thank you in advance -

quarter sawn oak and oak veneer (quartersawn oak) base for a princess dresser or low dresser.

rather than refinish to kill the gloss use #ooo steel wood and after removing the hardware, rub with the steel wood (#000) with the grain using long even strokes.  this will kill the sheen.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971