Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old trunk

Question
Front of trunk
Front of trunk  
Hi my grandmother recently gave me an old trunk. I am trying to find out any information I can. The trunk was built into her attic and was unable to be removed until she added larger attic access. The home was built in 1926. The family immigrated from Germany to a homestead in Columbus, Nebraska. I would appreciate any information you have. I can provide additional photos. Thank you!

Answer
1888 cross slat trunk
1888 cross slat trunk  

1888 Octagon top trunk
1888 Octagon top trunk  
Jennifer,

This trunk is almost certainly an American made trunk, but a few were made in Europe using American made parts. Also, many of these were made by trunk companies on the east coast, mostly NJ, and exported to Europe for sale there. The style is called a "cross slat" trunk with an octagon corner top.  The trunk makers called them the "octagon top" trunks when they had those angled corners rather than the regular square corners.  That was a style that started around 1888 and they were made in this same style until about 1915 by some makers.  The front latches were patented in 1882 by a Chicago trunk maker, but they were used for about 30 years by many other makers that bought them from the trunk hardware companies. The metal covering was originally given a metallic "crystallized" finish which was normally gold or silver, but some other colors were rarely used. That finish is often worn off the metal leaving a dull gray look.  I am attaching a couple pages from an 1888 trunk maker catalog that show the cross slat trunks in the regular flat top style and the octagon top. Keep in mind that each maker had their own models and gave them their own names.  This trunk was most likely made between about 1888 to 1900.   I hope that all helps.  
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller