Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunks for Dummies.

Question
trunk
trunk  
trunk
trunk  
QUESTION: Hi!

I recently purchased this trunk for $50 and thought it was an awesome
little piece of history and great for a coffee table. I'd love to get some background on it.
I have no idea anything about it. the only marking is on the lock. Corbin lock company.
wood trunk. it looks like there may have been a canvas over it that was removed? but I'm not
entirely sure. the inside also looks as if paper lining was removed. any insight?

thank you!

-Courtney

1900 catalog
1900 catalog  
ANSWER: Courtney,
You are correct that this was a canvas covered trunk and most likely lined with paper. That was a good deal you got on this trunk. It is a style made from the 1890's to the 1920's by a number of trunk companies in the U.S. during those years. Many people remove the old canvas and lining and then sand the wood down a little, stain, and/or refinish the wood surface.  Or you can use it as is of course if you prefer the more rustic look. Original style handles are available online if you ever want to replace those. The locks were made by several lock companies, but they didn't make the trunks. Sometimes a key can be found if you find the key code stamped into the front of the lock, usually something like T3, ST2, etc.  I have a collection of old trunk keys and sell one now and then.  The look looks like a nice brass one. One company that made trunks of this type was the Goldsmith & Son trunk company of NJ.  I'm attaching a page from their 1900 catalog so you can see the details they gave about this type trunk.  Enjoy using your trunk.
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com  

QUESTION: thanks Marvin for your speedy and detailed answer!
if you believe I got a good deal, what would you think the trunk is actually worth?

Answer
Well of course I can't inspect the trunk all over, but usually a well made trunk with the brass lock and nice wood in unrestored condition can sell in the range of around $75 to $200 and I do see people asking more than that. Thanks for the feedback.  
Marvin

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller