Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wingback Chair

Wingback Chair
Wingback Chair  

Chair Tag
Chair Tag  
Hello Mr. Klein!

I found this chair on the side of the road in SW Louisiana. I took it home so my husband and I could reupholster the chair. I am not sure why this thought never crossed my mind but when we were about to start dismanteling the chair I found a tag under the cushion. Which lead to me wondering when the chair was made and the style. If you could help that would be great! The tag I found inside says it was made by (New Orleans Furniture MFG. CO. Columbia, Mississippi) No. 10. The tag also details the type of material and the compliance article which reads: "This article is made in compliance with an act of: Dist. Of Col. Approved July 3, 1926; Kansas, approved March 1923; Minn. approved April 24, 1929; New Jersey revised Statutes 26:- 10-6 to 18. Lic. In Md."

we call the tag the 'law tag' as it must be on upholstered items starting in the 1920s.

chair is from the 1950-60s.  these are much better made than modern chairs and once repuholstered can be made most comfortable.

there is no particular style other than it is a french provincial styled wing back chair.

hope this is what you needed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971