Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Pedestal Table

Photo Of Table
Photo Of Table  
We recently purchased a circa 1910 home, including furniture, furnishings and records. Among the items is a triple pedestal mahogany dining room table. We discovered the paperwork relating to the purchase of the table, which occured in 1931. I have enclosed corespondence from the antique dealer from whom the table was purchased in which he states it is a Duncan Phyfe Dining Table, circa 1800, and also discusses its features.He also enclosed a photo of the table, which I have also attached. I have additional correspondence from the dealer, as well as a copy of the advertisement placed by the dealer for the table in the February 1931 edition of "Magazine Antiques. I can also provide current photos if you wish. My question is, do you think this might be an original Duncan Phyfe piece and not a knockoff?

Most likely this is something that must be examined in person with eyes and hands on.  Hands and eyes on lets me to see the tooling marks and feel surfaces to determine what tools were used to make and how something was made, which is crucial in dating a piece.

If you would like to send me multiple pictures to my email as attachments to one email, or two, i would be happy to look at them.  would need them to be clear and in focus.  Pictures of the underneath of the top, underneath of the pedestals, edges where the tops meet, the mounting boards where the pedestal attaches to the mount board and where the mount board attaches to the underside of the top.

Unfortunately any table in this style is called a Duncan Phyfe table, even by those in the trade when in actuality it is also in the Sheraton style, but we have to remember, what was popular is what was made and sold and styles overlapped.

Additionally, many tables of this form and style were imported from the UK.  I cannot remember with certainty but think they were called Georgian.  I dont keep up with European designations and categories like I do with American styles.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971