Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Platform Rocker

Rocker #1
Rocker #1  

Rocker #2
Rocker #2  
Good Afternoon:

I was hoping you could tell me about this antique platform rocker we acquired from my in-laws.  Can you tell me how old it is and a maker or what it might be worth??  We had it re-upholstered but the springs and wood is untouched.

This rocker and this form was called Early American, made in maple wood 1930s-50s.  Where it was made will remain unknown as there were 4-5000 manufacturers in operation at the time in the USA.

waxing with Johnson floor paste wax is all the wood will ever need, no oils please.

in insurance replacement value would be 700-800 but the market value about 350-400

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971