Collectibles-General (Antiques)/bed frame

Question
sideboard/rail
sideboard/rail  
headboard
headboard  
QUESTION: Hello,
I have a Robert Irwin mahogany bed with the headboard, footboard and side rails but seem to be missing the bolts to hold it together. I have seen antique bed bolts but I am puzzled as to whether they are the correct item I would need. In the headboard there are steel bars that look as if they would need something to hook on to them but the rails have the holes and cut outs that would accommodate the type of bolts that I have seen. I would love to know if I am missing something or if I have the wrong bolts in mind for my bed. Thank you,

ANSWER: inside the headboard and footboard there are what is called captured nuts, they are probably square nuts.  the bolts you are refering to had a round head that looks like a cannonball with a hole running through so you acan use an icepick to tighten OR...tapered head that has four sides.

there are different size threads so you will have to determine what the thread size is in the nuts.  it might be 3/8 course or fine.  once determined you can order the bolts online or, nad much less expensive, go to the hardware store and but the thread sice and length you need.  eample, 3/8 x  5 course, (3/8 being the idameter of the boal, course or fine being the thread and 5 being the length.

Now, if the nuts are missing or cross threaded you will need to replace them.  if that is the case, call me.

bolt
bolt  
headboard
headboard  
QUESTION: Thank you for your response. I am still confused. I looked closer at the headboard and see that there is a hole all the way through to the outside which I can understand running a bolt from the outside through the headboard and into the sideboard etc... and the bolt would most likely rest on the steel bar that is in the inside of the leg. But the footboard does not have a hole in it at all other than the opening where you can see the steel bar in it. Either the head of the bolt goes back behind that or something with a hook that could then be put through to the bed  rails. I have attached a picture of the only bolts I am finding. Please take a look at it and let me know if that looks like what it should have. I do not see any sort of captured nuts as you described. Thank you again!

ANSWER: sorry, the post did not send yesterday.

please send several infocus photos of the front and rear of the posts where dthe holes are located.

also send a picture of the end and both sides of the side rail ends so i can see what might be needed.

send as attachments to my email, one email please.
make sure they are infocus and clear.
thanks

Footboard
Footboard  

headboard
headboard  
QUESTION: I am attaching two more pictures hopefully clearer. I am also going to try and send some more but it will be in a separate email because this format only allows me two pictures at a time. So please look for another email or two. Thank you!

Answer
send the pictures to my email address, all as an attachment to one email please

thank you.

make sure they are infocus and clear.
thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein