Collectibles-General (Antiques)/My grandmother's cedar chest

Hi Mr. Miller,

I have inherited my Big Mama's cedar chest.

26" tall
50" wide
26" deep

I don't know how to send pics over the internet but I can certainly send pics to a cell phone.

I have no idea the history.  My Big Mama died at 92 yrs. old and she had it her whole adult life.  She was poor and I have no idea where it came from.

The unusual thing about it is the name "MABLE" is inscribed across the top of it.  The woodworking on the entire chest is beautiful.

Texas is where my family is from if that helps.

Please send me a number that I can send pictures.

There are no visable markings on it except "MABLE".

Linda Cooper

I'm sorry for the delay, but I'm not able to get pictures on my phone. I don't have very much information about cedar chests and there were many companies in the US that made them and some were handmade.  I suggest you ask your question to an expert in the antique furniture category or check with any antique dealers in your area that could possibly take a look at it. Sometimes it take a closer look at items like that in order to tell much about the age.  I'm sorry this doesn't help you much.  Good luck and best wishes,  Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.