Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Information about Trunk

Full View Closed
Full View Closed  

Full View Open
Full View Open  
I would appreciate any information about the trunk in the photo.  It is 26.75" high x 38" wide x 23" deep.  It has Western G & T hinges and Eagle locks.  The bottom has 4 casters and one slat with two numbers stenciled on - 38 and 360. It is in great condition with only one leather snap strap that is broken and a bit of separation on one side of the interior paper.  Thank you!

1913 Parkhurst trunks
1913 Parkhurst trunks  

1910 Dresser Trunk Ad
1910 Dresser Trunk Ad  

The trunk is a style called a bureau trunk or a dresser trunk, having the inner drawers and compartments. I have several trunk maker catalogs from the early 1900's that show various models of these dresser trunks. There were several American trunk makers that made these trunks, primarily from about 1900 to the early 1920's.  This trunk has been refinished and originally had canvas covering over the wood. The interior has been cleaned or repainted and so the trunk is in very nice condition as you said.  Many companies used those type of hinges and locks so it doesn't identify the trunk maker. The numbers on the bottom are the size and maker's model number, but don't tell us anything else. There are typically small defects or condition issues with a trunk this age. This particular trunk is a bit more unusual than other dresser trunks because the front lower section also folds down to reveal the lower drawer. It is great that the trunk has the complete interior and nearly all the covers and leather straps. The edge binding on the trunk is "mottled fiber" which was made to look like rawhide leather. That was used on many trunks from the early 1900's. See the catalog pages I've attached of similar dresser or bureau trunks.  I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.