Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John Widdicomb furniture

Widdicomb dressing table
Widdicomb dressing tab  
Widdicomb mirror
Widdicomb mirror  
QUESTION: We have a 7-piece bedroom set of John Widdicomb furniture with hand painted decoration. The set has a rocking chair, chair, dressing table with mirrors, dressing table bench,  a large mirror (actual mirror showing 28" high by 35" wide not, counting frame), chest of drawers and night table. It is in good condition because it was in a rarely used bedroom -- probably since the 1920's. The John Widdicomb emblem is in the top drawer of the chest of drawers. I am attaching two pictures but could send more. What is the value and best way to sell them? What is the likely date of their manufacture?  Thanks for your advice.

ANSWER: please use the followup function and post a picture of the label and of other pieces.

no bed??

decal of widdicomb
decal of widdicomb  

widdicomb chest of drawers
widdicomb chest of dra  
QUESTION: I am attaching more pictures. The # on the dressing table and another piece is 1593 - I assume the group #. I appreciate your research. I will be away for a few weeks so may not be able to respond often. Thanks again.

this style label was used from 1903 til 1937.  i place your set in the 1915-1925 slot.

the vanity would sell in a shop at 475 maybe 500

dresser with mirror 250-300.

rocker and chair 50 each

as to sales, i dont know what is available in your area.  go to antique malls and antique shops or any higher end resale stores with your pictures and try to sell direct to them.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971