Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Morris Chair

Morris Chair 1
Morris Chair 1  

Morris Chair 2
Morris Chair 2  
I bought this chair at an estate sale in Georgia and was told it was an "original" Morris chair.  I would like to know the age of the chair, where it was made, the style, and the approximate value.  Thank you.

The style is a Morris chair style but this is a recliner rocker.  to be an original Morris chair it would have been made by the Morris company but that has gone away and these days any chair made between bout 1890 and 1915/20 in the same form as a Morris chair (four legs on the floor and the reclining back, with or without a footrest) would be considered a Morris chair.

Yours would be considered and was advertised as a recliner rocker.  Many companies made this style.  The platform base is the key.  There were Morris rockers but they did not have the platform base.

as to pricing, it is more the elaborateness and overall style rather than name that gives the value.

yours is a nice recliner rocker and would sell in a shop around 650 if everything is intact.

wood is oak and there is a int of the mission style dictated by the rectilinear pieces under the arms.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971