Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking Chair value

Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair  

Rocking chair 2
Rocking chair 2  
Robert- I have acquired an old rocking chair that was my grandmothers. The  back slats are horizontal with a pad for the back and chair bottom. The rocking mechanism is from two heavy duty springs under the seat, there are no rocker legs. There is a tag on side that says made by Frank and Sons. Could you please tell me the era (age) and value of this chair.

Thank you so much, I appreciate hearing from you.

This style is usually maple and is called early American by manufacturers.
today it is called mid century and retro.

popular from the mid 30 into the 50s.

this style of rocker is called a platform rocker as it has no rocker runners.

cleaned up, waxed and ready to sell it would sell at 75$-150 depending on condition

there are a couple of frank and sons companies.  does it say where?  new york?

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971