Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Saratoga trunk

Question
Dear Sir;
I am a writer researching an 1874 murder that occurred in Braintree, MA. One of the items entered as evidence during the trial was a Saratoga trunk. The only description provided in newspaper accounts was that it was "a Saratoga trunk, russet-colored and had large bands or slats nailed across the outside of the lid." There were no newspaper photographs of the trunk.
I found a photograph of a Saratoga trunk on your web site and was wondering if you have a photograph of this particular type of trunk from the 1870s that I can use in my book. I'd appreciate any assistance you can extend to me. Thank you very much.

Answer
Large Saratoga Trunk
Large Saratoga Trunk  

1870s Saratoga Trunk
1870s Saratoga Trunk  
John,

I've been traveling for a couple days and just saw your question. Yes, I can help you with this. A Saratoga trunk became a commonly known style, which was basically a large round top trunk and in the 1870's many of them were leather covered and had iron banding around them, with some hardwood slats over the leather covering.  That is probably the style that they were referring to in the newspaper accounts. Some of these trunks were very large.  If you could email me at Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com I can email pictures easier than on here.  I can post a picture or two here also and will do that for you.  I'd love to hear more about your book. Another author from FL actually used the Saratoga trunk picture from my website on their book cover a couple years ago on a similar topic.   
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller