Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Steamer Trunk

Hi Marvin

My wife and I recently purchased a steamer trunk but do not know anything about it. It has an Eagle Lock Co lock 8446-2. It has all brass corners and locks and leather handles. It still has the tray that matches the interior, which is a blue and white plaid-type pattern.

Thanks for your help!

1920 steamer trunks
1920 steamer trunks  

1920 catalog page
1920 catalog page  
That style short trunk is the true "steamer" trunk as the name was originally used for the short trunks that could be stored under a bed in the steamship cabins. Now many people are calling all old trunks a steamer trunk.  The hardware on your trunk is brass plated steel (which you can check with a magnet as they won't stick to solid brass but stick to steel and iron).  That style lock and latches were used beginning around 1918 and were used into the 1940's.  Many styles of lining paper and fabric were used by trunk makers as shown in old trunk catalogs I have.  I'm attaching a couple pages from a 1920 trunk catalog with similar trunks so you can see what they said about them. Many trunk companies made similar trunks during that time and many do not have a label. They were made with coverings of metal, canvas, leather, and vulcanized fiber. You can find the keys for that lock by typing in the code number in an ebay search.  There are some for sale there now.  
I hope that all helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.