Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Chair?

Question
Chair
Chair  

Chair02
Chair02  
I'm wondering if I have stumbled onto an antique.  The four-post chair sits low to the ground and has (what I think is) jute seating.  On the bottom of the chair, a tag is nailed that gives Order Number, Frame Number and Cover? Number.  The "v" in "cover" has been nailed so the word may be something other than "cover."  It looks as if it has been re-upholstered at least three times.  I've attached some pictures below.  Any information you can give would be great, including reading material on this chair type.  So far, I haven't been able to find a four post chair that is not a glider.  Thanks so much!

Answer
Pamela - Your chair is not an antique. It is from the 1960s/early 70s in the style with the misleading name of "Early American." The style had nothing to do with authentic early American colonial furniture but was a decorator's dream for selling new "antiques."

The posts (called "stiles" ) are meant to look like the posts in an 18th century "turner's Windsor chair made on a foot powered lathe.

Your chair is factory made of maple and would sell at auction in the $50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor