Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Platform Rocker/Recliner

Antique Platform Rocker/Recliner
Antique Platform Rocke  
QUESTION: I was given this chair by my mother in law. She is 79 yrs old. It was her great grandfather's chair. It has never been refinished or reupholstered. It has two metal "arms" by the seat back used to recline. The foot rest is stuffed with hay. Can you tell me the approx age, craftsman, area of the country it was possibly made and approx value.
Thank you for your time & assistance.

ANSWER: use the follow up function and post another picture showing the mechanism on the back.

QUESTION: Robert, you can see the metal "arms" in the photo.  It's not in the back.  It's alongside the seat back.  It has "teeth" to hold the back in different reclining positions.  Thank you for your assistance!!  I really appreciate the help.

I can see part of the mechanism but would like to see it better.  there sere several that were similar and seeing the entire piece can most likely tell me which company made the chair.  Of the 5000 manufacturers in operation at the time half made these style chairs.

piece was made in the USA, around 1900-1920, wood is birch stained to dark mahogany from the factory.  it would sell at 450 on todays market.

if yours matches the attached photos then it is made by Larkin.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971