Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique rocker

Crocker chair
Crocker chair  
I have a small rocker with Crocker Furniture Company sticker still on the bottom.  It is Birdseye Maple, 34" tall and the seat is 16" at the widest in front and 15" front to back and has a cane seat.  I am attaching a picture.  I would like to know the age and possible worth of this little jewel. (It's apparent the seat has been re-caned and the chair is in excellent shape and very sturdy.
Thank you for your knowledge,

Melody - Your chair is a sewing or nursing rocker. The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to feminine tasks. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

The chair was made in Sheboygan in the early 1920s. It would sell at auction in the $50-$75 range.

Here is some history of the Crocker Chair Co from the site  

Crocker Chair Company
The first factory established for the manufacture of furniture was begun in 1865 by Silas Crocker and L. E. Minott. The factory had once been the site of the American House, a pretentious brick and frame hotel built by Louis C. Gury in the mid-1850s. The hotel stood empty for several years until Minott and Crocker purchased the building and converted it into a furniture factory. The two men acquired the steam engine and fixtures of the Union Steam Flouring Mills of Glenbeulah, which was being dismantled, and were in business. They conducted a saw and planing mill and manufactured chairs and cabinetwork. Minott later sold his share to a Mr. Bliss, and the firm was known as Crocker and Bliss until it was destroyed by fire in April 1875. The burning of the Crocker and Bliss Company was a severe blow to the city, putting many men out of work.

In 1873 Edgar A. Hill built a frame factory for the manufacture of baby carriages, doll carts, wagons, hobby horses, and other toys. It was not a successful business and Hill sold it to the Sheboygan Carriage Company in 1876. The carriage company was sold in 1880 to the Crockers, whose chair factory had burned in 1875. The Crocker Chair Company would be one of the largest employers in Sheboygan for the next forty years. The company was reorganized in 1924, when Dr. G. W. Brickbauer purchased the controlling interest, but was closed during the Depression.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida