Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunk - is it worth restoring and keeping

We just saved this antique trunk from being dumped into trash but after taking it home and having a close look at it, we are not sure if it is worth saving and/or restoring. The trunk has been painted in black color and metal in gold leaf, leather is in quite bad shape and metal cover of the trunk is rusty (as well as the bottom). Too bad I could not upload more pictures. As trunk is in such a bad shape and has been painted, we are not sure if it has any antique value left at all.

Thank you!

to restore would cost lots, hundreds.

as is it would be worth about 30-40 tops.

for use, cut off all the leather and repaint the trunk with rustoleum. line the interior with cloth for storing blankets and such.

made around 1900.  these work well as coffee tables too.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971