Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Writing Desk

QUESTION: Just wondering what this writing desk is worth, it belonged to my Mom, there is a paper stamp on the inside of the center drawer, H.E.Shaw Furniture, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

ANSWER: please use the followup function and post another picture with the top opened

Writing desk
Writing desk  
QUESTION: Second picture of the writing per your request.

This is called a spinet desk.  usually manufactured of sweet gum or birch wood for the frame and legs with mahogany veneer for the top, sides and faces.  made around 1920 and i believe the company operated under that name from 1910-1933.

they did specialize in spinnet desks.

hope this helps

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971