Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally E 2003

Hi Mr. Knutson,

My name is Lea and I am trying to help a friend with a mistake he made. He and his wife do not use computers so here I am. Now to what he did..... he got several Bally slot machines and none had any keys. The people who helped him load and unload them, him self included decided to drill the locks out ( see pic if able to send more than one or can send it. ) So the question is are the machines a loss or can the locks be replaced? Okay with that said here's the problem with the machine in photo. This machine is labeled Bally E 2003 or 2009, hard to read the name plate on side of machine. The tilt light is always on and the first reel quickly locks and the other three keep spinning. Oh and I did read your answer to the one tilt light question where the brother moved the machines. Using a key I have the codes are 50 000.00 , 3 000.00 , not sure if I have the zero's in correct as I am doing this by memory. Then there is a 7 with zeros and a 14 with zeros. The 50 is there all the time and the rest when key is turned. From what I have read and having a machine my self ( newer slot than his. IGT Double Diamond with no coin or token use at all, only credits) The lock that was drilled out I think is the reset tilt and jackpot switch. If it is could that be the problem? Here's where we are really baffled, He got to talking with a man that bought one non working machine where my friend got his. The machine the other man bought is a Quarter one with fruit, 3 wheels, 3 coin Bally. The fronts match minus the top part with payouts it is a bit shorter from his pic. Thing is that man drilled out his lock also. My friend is sure that the man did.  Yet this person got his running and my friends wife confirmed the man showed them the machine working. The other owner/man was visiting someone and has since gone so no way to find out how he did it or if he replaced the lock. So it is driving me nuts. Help!!! Please. I wish he would have asked to use my key's. Lol I remind him of this as we try to get them going. All in fun of course. My friend just wants to get them working as they were for his casino collection of neat things. That is how we met. He and his wife came to my yard sale and purchased my Singer feather weight. We talked and I mentioned I collect clocks and have now bought a few from him. His wife had no intention of sewing she collects sewing machines. Has the cutest mini/bank slots. Sorry TMI His bank slots need help too. lol well two of them.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time

Hi Lea,
I can see in the photos that the lock that was drilled, is the door lock; the jackpot reset lock is the one on the handle side of the machine. The jackpot lock just triggers the lever on a micro switch to reset jackpots and access other meters. So, the locks are drilled out on several of these machines? Well this can be a very real problem but you can beat it. First it would be good if you had a bally manual, parts manual would be best, so you could see how the locking hardware works and what it looks like. The key locks are connected to the locking mechanism by the lock cam, when the lock cam is turned it LIFTS all this locking hardware up, the way the hardware works is that it grabs the door by the top and bottom and holds the door in tight. There is a hook on the top and one on the bottom of the cabinet. These hooks go into the door frame when the door is closed, when you lock it, a bar moves down into both hooks at the same time and as you lock the door this wedges this bar into the hooks squeezing the door shut. If the doors are tight it is going to be hard but if there is a little play you can get them open easy. Now you have to be sure you completed the drill out of the lock, you need to drill out the end of the lock so the cam is free from the lock all together. This is a special Bally lock cam but they can be replaced and I have some. This cam is bolted on the end of the lock with a nut so this cam needs to be drilled out and floating in the air.
Next thing you have to do is this, the locking hardware works by being lifted up by the cam so the perfect way is to turn the machine over upside down so now locking hardware can fall down and release the door. I know this is always not possible so you can try laying it over on its side and lift the bottom of the machine as high as possible and set it on something, then with a straight edged screw driver try to wiggle the door by getting the screw driver in-between the doors edge and the cabinet, or take a rubber hammer and hit the top and bottom of the door so you working it, moving it up and down a little so this hardware can come lose and fall down. Upside down works the best, but you need to work the door a little so this takes the presser off the door locking levers that are wedged in place, and allows it to be pushed down and once loose it will fall down and the door will open. Not easy but it works and this is the only way you're going to get them opened now. When you leave feedback for me if you do, and I hope so, let me know how this worked out for you. Also I have locks and the Bally cams if you need any.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.