Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Boston Rocker

Question
Boston Rocker
Boston Rocker  

seat
seat  
I picked-up a nice Boston Rocker.  Trying to get a better sense of it's age and perhaps any regional charateristics.  This one is different than most others I've seen in that it has a single board seat construction as opposed to the three-piece seat construction.  Also the up-curve at the back of the seat is arched and not squared-off like most others.  Some repairs to arms but seems nearly original. Could be original paint and stenciling as well or old re-paint.  I'd like to know your thoughts: age, region, wood if possible, vaue, etc. Regards. Pete

Answer
Thanks for all the photos.  I believe the stenciling was put on later to "modernize" the chair.  originally it probably was painted but not a thick paint, in black.  there is hand work with hand tools, the seat shows that and the champhered areas show that as well.  bottom of the legs that capture the runner show hand saw lines also.

I would ask you to do this:
get a pair of calipers and check the legs to see if they are still round or if they have become oval and let me know what you find.

the rocker runners dont have the wear that i would expect in a chair from 1840 but it is possible they have been replaced, I wouldn't be able to know that without hands and eyes on.

from what i have seen in the photos i woul put this in the 1870s but will wait till you let me know about the rounds for that and pricing.

thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein