Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Edison Institute highboy reproduction

highboy full
highboy full  
QUESTION: Hello, I have acquired this mahogany highboy. I was told it is a reproduction from the Edison Institute and made by Colonial Mfg. Co. Zeeland ,Mich. If so can you tell me please what the original highboys date, state, and craftsman may have been? I've attached photos , Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Kindest regards...Greg from Ca
EDISON INSTITUTE MUSEUM REPRODUCTION HIGHBOY BY COLONIAL MFG.CO.: Tall mahogany chest featuring spiral finials, engraved hardware, shell carved drawer, ball and claw feet. Eleven drawers, five are full length. 77'' h., 39'' w., 20'' d.

ANSWER: need two more pictures so please use the followup function and add a picture of any label on the piece.  also a picture of the outside of the side of one drawer where the side meets the front of that drawer.

i dont understand the following sentence "can you tell me please what the original highboys date, state, and craftsman may have been"

highboys in this style were originally made in the 1700s.  

44  44
44 44  

QUESTION: Thank you for such a timely response. What I was curious about is the who, what, where and when of the original highboy this reproduction was designed after if at all possible. There aren't any labels or plates on the unite only a number of  44  44 stamped on every drawer. I've sent picture of # stamp and front side of drawer dove tail work. Thank you again for any information.   Regards.. Greg

there are tens of thousands of highboys reproduced in the same basic style and there is no verification that this was from any particular one.  thing is that this is a manufactured piece however the balance is good, the condition looks well cared for, the shape and form is good, feet and legs are not bulky as many newer one are.

I have seen these sell between 750 and 1500 at auctions.   I would start at 1200.

there are some pictured in the 'chest of books' online and in the inventories of many museums.

hope this helps

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971